Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Halt! Who goes there?

While I was looking through photographs taken of shadow figures a few days ago, I encountered one -- this one -- I had not noticed previously. What is happening is unmistakable, though. The camera caught the image of Fram the First emerging from the mists of time -- from the netherworld itself, yeah -- into the present, into the here and now. He has a habit of doing that -- in both directions; appearing without announcement or warning; disappearing without a "by your leave" or even a wink and a nod. His independence is notorious; he is kin to Scaramouche, born with a smile on his lips and a sense that the world is mad; and his manners are sometimes shaky. Anyway, he was here for a few days, and he was captured by camera.

The chorus
from the Thin Lizzy version
of the 17th Century Irish ballad
"Whiskey in the Jar"


Now some men like the fishin' and some men like the fowlin',
and some men like ta hear, the cannon ball a roarin'.
Me? I like sleepin' especially in my Molly's chamber.
But here I am in prison, here I am with ball and chain, yeah.

Musha ring dum a do dum a da.
Wack for my daddy-o,
Wack for my daddy-o,
There's whiskey in the jar-o.

5 comments:

Fram Actual said...

Comments welcome ....

I believe there is a cliché to the effect that a gentleman never says no to a lady.

Well, a beautiful, young lady has requested that I reopen the comment element of my blog and, being at least a reasonable facsimile of a gentleman, her request is hereby granted.

Please, say what you will, now and forever ....

Magda Machnicka said...

Hurrra!

Finally we can write our comments here again, good.

Quite a special picture you posted, Frammy. Like a dream within a dream. What else we are doing here, at least.

Did the man brought you a canoe, and did you already canoe on Washington Lake?

Fram Actual said...

Well, I am glad to see one person has missed me and has stopped by to visit me. Thank you, Mag.

It is interesting that you mention a dream within a dream. Poets have written about them; artists have attempted to paint them; I have had them. Yes, the photograph does create both a dream-like image and a feeling of watching one's self, perhaps in a dream.

The canoe arrived, Mag, but it has not tasted Lake Washington waters, and probably will not since I will be living here only another two weeks. Such is life.

Kaya said...

Fram, I can't believed myself that I am writing again a comment to Fram.

About shadows on your photos. I thought yesterday about what you wrote.

I thought about how many shadows we have in our lives. Some will be with us.... And some shadows..., we would like to step out of them and have courage just to be. Perhaps, ordinary and not so important and foolish but just to be without concerns what others think about us. You brought this idea of shadows and I would like to say thank you to you.

And about two photos of Fram. I don't know did you noticed it or not but there are two Frams. And one of them is a quite romantic, poetic and a very touching.

This is Fram on a last post.

Anyway, i am happy to "talk" to you again.

Fram Actual said...

Yes, we cast shadows and others cast their shadows -- at times, over us or upon us.

It seems like worry and concern about what others might think of you is one of your themes, Kaya, one of the elements which makes you hesitate to always say what you think or do what you wish.

Maybe, to be one's true self without fear is the actual definition of freedom.

Two Frams? Yes, most certainly. At least two. I think the real magic number of existence is two, for a variety of reasons, but, whatever, I absolutely believe there are two "individual beings" in each of us battling for dominance.

Good, that you are happy.

Something special ....