Friday, July 1, 2016

"There must be some way out of here"

I noted in March that my son had given me a replica Viking sword for my birthday, and I wrote then that I would run a photograph of it at some point in the future. Well, the future has arrived and here is the sword. My head was accidently (yeh, sure) lopped off in the photograph, perhaps symbolically a gesture to acknowledge one of the many uses of a sword. I doubt this one ever will be put to practical use, although I was on a college fencing team where I spent considerable time "playing" with foils and sabers, and it is possible I may wish to expand my skill set. For the record, the blade of the sword is not green. It is stainless steel and has a bright, glossy, mirror finish, and what you see is a reflection from the brilliant green of the summer grass. Hmmmm .... then again, the sword might be magical when I hold it .... it might glow green when I wield it .... you think ??

Some of the lyrics from
"All Along the Watchtower"
by Bob Dylan
performed here
by Jimi Hendrix

"There must be some way out of here,"
Said the joker to the thief,
"There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief,
Businessmen, they drink my wine, plough men dig my earth,
None of them along the line know what any of it is worth"

"No reason to get excited," the thief, he kindly spoke,
"There are many here among us now,
Who feel that life is but a joke,
But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate,
So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late"

[Editor’s Note: This post evolved after sitting by (sometimes diving into) a swimming pool in the sun far too long while drinking far too many gin and tonics with a neighbor a few days ago. He and I, the joker and the thief, figuratively speaking, were comparing notes/memories, as one might describe it. I think that should explain just about everything, if you catch my drift. So, here is a fantasy bucket list of sorts .... in no particular order.]

Take Cyndi Lauper to dinner and go clubbing after .... without her husband. I think it especially would be fun to dance with her. (Ms. Lauper is a spur of the moment thought, arising while watching her perform; the young lady companion in this scenario might change from Cyndi to another at any time.)

Make a HALO jump .... "High Altitude, Low Opening" .... I have seventy-nine jumps, all from pretty low, 3,000 to 10,000 feet; a typical HALO is from 25,000 to 35,000 feet.

Find a time travel machine and explore the past; the future does not really interest me because I think I would be disappointed in it. Probably, bored with it, too. Progress often = softness, laziness, boredom, faux adventure. (This, time travel to the past, actually, is my No. 1 fantasy wish.)

Shoot a buffalo with bow and arrow from horseback at a gallop in the midst of the herd. (I no longer hunt, but I have hunted with long gun, handgun and archery gear, and I still am curious and thrive on experience –- to feel and to know what once was and how it was for those who came before me.)

Party with the Rolling Stones .... I am assuming they still know how to it !! I would love to try to bury them and their "wild horses" under the table -- alcoholically speaking. (Yeh, yeh, I know -- macho, macho, macho .... so what ?? Who beyond the political correct care ?? And, the politically correct only are important among themselves .... mutual admiration stuff, you see !!)

Walk the sand of Red Beach Two at Betio in the Tarawa Atoll of the Gilbert Islands in the Pacific Ocean. It was the site of one of the fiercest battles in the history of the Marine Corps and, for whatever reason, I have reoccurring dreams about it although it was before my "current" epoch: November 20-23, 1943. (Find some photographs of the battle and you will see what war was, is and always will be .... but, when attacked, you must fight back ruthlessly and mercilessly .... so sayeth the prophet ....)

Have just one more talk with a few people who have come and gone through my life. Apologize to some .... maybe ....

Have two or three more kids. Practice makes perfect. (I am speaking about raising them and enjoying their presence, you understand, with my reference to "practice.")

Go back a few years and enter into politics when the opportunity was present. I once left a congressional press secretary slot to return to newspaper work .... bad decision.

Done better and worked harder at just about everything I ever have tried in life .... although, in the long run, I do not think it makes a difference. I am a bit (quite a bit) of an existential nihilist -- using the word "existential" in proper context, unlike the simplistic way faddish news people and idiot politicians use it these days. You see, I will be a constant, consummate critic until the end of time. As someone (writer Jimmy Breslin, maybe ??) once said: "You have to be noted for something."

I probably will think of a few more items but, enough for now and these are all I remember from the "gin and tonic drink-along." Until next time, dream on .... and, I am sorry you did not read more, here .... comprende ?? .... it might have been fun, interesting, even exciting .... whatever, another time, baby, maybe ....maybe, baby, I'll have you .... whoops, I am drifting into song again .... sorry, Buddy H. ....

Addendum #1: In terms of the time machine, I frequently wonder what I would have done had I witnessed the crucifixion of Jesus, in context both of what I know now and what I would have known as someone living back then .... actually, it is pretty much the same with George Armstrong Custer's Last Stand .... what would I have done had "I dropped in there while the battle was going on?" Joined in? If so, on which side? Or, remained an objective observer -- a classic (nearly extinct) journalist?

Addendum #2: There is nothing that offends me more than those who belittle the military of their country and who do not have the courage or the moral fortitude to defend themselves and others more helpless than themselves. I recall a blogger who wrote that it takes more courage not to go to war in defense of one's country than it does to go to war for defense of country -- which, of course, also means in defense of family and friends and way of life. Such a position either is the epitome of an excuse for cowardice or one definition of insanity.

Addendum #3: This blog is temporarily out of business on a full-time basis. Once or twice a month appearances -- maybe. It might return; it might not. If it returns, it might be in the same form; it might be in a different form. Right now, I am somewhere between Marine Corps motivational and Franz Kafka metamorphosis ....


1 comment:

Fram Actual said...

Well, it has been a while -- quite a while, actually -- since I have left comments open for a post, but then, later, invoked my "twenty-four-hour rule" to block any future comments when there had been none after a full day. Sort of petty of me, I agree, but then, on the practical side, it allows me to walk away from the post entirely -- and, from the blogs. Which, I will now do for a while .... doksa ake waunkte ....

Something special ....